Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mackinac Island


Wow, Mackinac Island has to be the most beautiful place I have seen! 
Our day started out in Mackinaw City where we ate breakfast in the hotel and then headed to Arnold Transit to take a ferry to the island.  It was very interesting to see the differences between the mainland and the island.  One main thing I observed was that when they loaded the luggage onto the ferry from the mainland they used a motorized cart and when we got to the island they used plain and simple manpower.
The only motorized vehicles on the island are a police car, an ambulance which I didn't see, and a moving type truck.  All other transportation consists of bikes and horses.
I didn't like the looks of these life rafts.

Seth inside the ferry.

Mom and Dad

It was a chilly that day but the sun was shining and I didn't want to sit inside the stuffy ferry so I rode on top with 2 other people.  We sat on the front row so the wind was blocked by the windows. 

The Mackinac Bridge from the ferry.
We were told that a horse drawn carriage ride was the way to go to see the island.  There are the large tour ones that carry about 50 people that run $25 each or you can hire a private driver for $100.  We went the private route and it was so worth it.  The driver was so nice and told us all about the history of the island.  She told us that she lives on the island all year and drives the carriage during the summer and around October when everything shuts down she is a full time paramedic.

Seth and Kaia on the carriage.


Traffic jam!  LOL



The houses and landscapes are well taken care of and were so beautiful. 




 This is the main street that runs through town.

Those are the larger tour carriages.
The carriage took us right by The Grand Hotel.
After we finished the very chilly carriage ride around the island I turned to my Mom and said "They really should open a Starbucks on the island"  (I was really craving a Chai Tea Latte) Well then I looked up and it appeared!  WooHoo!!!


While Mom and Dad waited for the ferry the kids and I walked to the next street over so we could see some more of the island.
Emergency services building.

So glad we didn't miss the Town Crier!

 Lake Huron and The Mackinac Bridge

The making of fudge!  It seems that every other store sold fudge.

The way back to the mainland.  They didn't last long on the top.

When I posted on Facebook that we would be in Mackinaw City I was told to make sure I tried a Pastie.  I had no idea what it was at the time but I sure am glad I listened to her.
Click Here to if you want to know what a Pastie is!

I got the original beef pastie.

Before we left Mackinaw City, I had to collect our Lake Huron water.  3 down 2 to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment